Our take on this yummy bolognese recipe.
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 medium onions, peeled and chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped into 1-inch chunks
2 celery stalks, cut into chunks
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 pounds (1 kg) ground beef
3 ounces pancetta, chopped
1 1/2 tspn salt
2 tspn freshly ground black pepper
2/3 cup dry red wine
3 cups beef stock
1 can (796 ml) crushed tomatoes
4 tsp dried oregano
2-4 tsp dried basil to taste
1 1/2 cup whole milk (part of this can be substituted for 15% cream if you don’t have whole milk)
Optional (for serving)
Handful chopped fresh basil or parsley
1. Chop onions, carrots, celery, and garlic. Pre-heat olive oil in a heavy pot or large saucepan and add onions, carrots, and celery. After 2-3 minutes, add garlic. Stir frequently until soft (approx 10 minutes).
2. Add ground beef, pancetta, salt and pepper and cook over medium-high heat, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until meat is no longer pink, 5-10 minutes.
4. Add red wine and cook until liquid is almost dissolved, 1-2 minutes.
5. Add beef stock, crushed tomatoes, oregano, and basil. Bring to a gentle boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover with lid slightly ajar and simmer for 45 minutes. Stir, then cover completely with lid and simmer 45 minutes more.
6. Add milk to sauce. Cover with lid slightly ajar and simmer until milk is absorbed, about 35 minutes. Use a soup spoon to skim some of the fat off the top.