Spring Gemelli with Spinach, Mushroom, and Tomatoes
Ingredients (serves 4):
2 garlic cloves
1 tbs olive oil
1/3 cup white whine
1/2 package of Gemelli pasta (1 package = 500 grams)
1 package of fresh (or frozen) spinach
a dozen cherry tomatoes
a handful of fresh mushrooms, chopped (approx. 8 small mushrooms, or to taste)
1/2 cup cream cheese
1 cup evaporated milk
1/4-1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
juice of 1/2 a lemon
sundried tomatoes (to replace the cherry tomatoes)
any other kind of pasta, to your taste!
Step 1: Prepare the Pasta
The pasta sauce should take at most 15-20 minutes to prepare, so preheating pasta water with a pinch of salt and olive oil should be the first step in order for pasta and sauce to be ready around the same time.
Step 2: Prepare the Pasta Sauce
1. Saute garlic in olive oil for 1-2 minutes, or until just starting to gold.
2. Add wine, bring to a boil, and reduce heat.
3. Add cream cheese, stirring until melted.
4. Add evaporated milk and stir until sauce is creamy and smooth.
5. Add paremsan cheese. Stir until melted.
6. Add lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
Step 3: Prepare the Vegetables
1. Cook the spinach in a saucepan for a few minutes, until wilted. Drain any remaining water and chop the spinach.
2. In a pan, saute the mushroom for about 3 minutes. Then add the cherry tomatoes for another 2-3 minutes.
Step 4: Putting it All Together
When pasta is al dente, drain and return to the saucepan. Pour the pasta sauce over the pasta and mix in the vegetables. Serve immediately and garnish with basil (optional).