Beef or Chicken Chili Ramen
Step 1: Prepare chili ramen sauce (makes about ½ cup)
2 scant teaspoons sugar
2 tablespoons vinegar
3 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
5 tablespoons fish sauce (nam pla)
Dissolve the sugar in the vinegar in a small pan over a gentle heat, let cool, and add sweet chili sauce and fish sauce.
Step 2: Make chicken stock
6 cups of chicken stock
1 leek, finely chopped
1 carrot, roughly chopped
1-inch piece of fresh ginger root, finely chopped
When chicken broth is ready add the ginger and let cook another 5 minutes.
Add 3 tablespoons of chili ramen sauce (see step 1).
Step 3: Precut vegetables
3 scallions, chopped
1 half teaspoon of red (or green) chile, (not peppers) chopped
1 lime, quartered
6 sprigs of cilantro
Step 4: Prepare bean sprouts and ramen noodles
2 handfuls of bean sprouts
1 fistful of ramen noodles (wheat noodles)
1. Bleach two handfuls of bean sprouts in a large pot of boiling water for 10 seconds.
2. Drain, reserving the water, and refresh in cold running water.
3. Cook a fistful of ramen noodles in the reserved boiling water for about 3 minutes.
4. Drain thoroughly and refresh under cold running water.
Step 5: Prepare meat
slice chicken breast or sirloin steak
store bought teriyaki sauce
1. Preheat a frying pan for 1-2 min with vegetable oil.
2. Fry the meat (sliced steak or chicken breast) for 2-3 minutes or until medium rare.
3. Season with teriyaki sauce.
Bringing it all together…
1. Divide the noodles between two large bowls.
2. Ladle the chicken stock with chili ramen sauce over the noodles.
3. Top with meat and sliced vegetables finishing off with the coriander.
Serve immediately. Makes 2 generous servings.